The right hardware for digital signage
Everyone who has experience with this field will tell you that, for several reasons, it pays to have professional panels (screens). Surely, some might argue that it is possible to use standard TVs. BUT there is a catch to his approach.
Comparison with professional panels:
- They don’t have a TV tuner, which is a big advantage since you don’t have to pay mandatory fees (for the TV receiver, royalties)
- 24/7 operation is guaranteed with a 3-year warranty (sometimes up to 5 years)
- You get tools to remotely control the panel – on/off, adjusting sound, brightness, and others
- Mounting with a VESA mount
- Landscape and portrait orientation
- High luminosity range compared to classic panels (350–2500 cd/m2)
- Protection against still image burn-in
- All-in-one solution, including integrated touch layers
- Advanced SoC technology – the panel does not need other HW such as a computer to store and play content
Most manufacturers of classic TVs also offer professional panels, with the biggest producers being Samsung, LG, Philips, NEC, and others. Recently, new brands such as HikVision, previously known for other products, have entered the field.